Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Fan-Fiction and my Fondness for Fuller*



My Aunt wrote 330 pages of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea fan-fiction. Fortunately she's not a bad writer. Her story's actually engaging and entertaining. I just finished editing her torture chapters. Admiral Nelson is a brave soul, I tell ya. But yeah, editing brings me serious joy - all of my anal retentiveness with regard to grammar, use of idiomatic expressions, and the simple aesthetic flow of words has finally found a productive mode of expression. Maybe now I won't have to holler at signs that say things like: 2 taco's just one dollar. Augh...

Right, well, besides that, sharpening my ability to break down and rearrange sentences has got to be helpful somehow when I return to translating literary/classical Chinese. *sigh* I miss it so badly!!! Oh gracefully tedious Fuller drills, Oh Pulleyblank, Oh Matthews, why ever did I leave you in Portland?!

*Contrary to what the title of this post may suggest, my fondness for Fuller's literary Chinese translation exercises has not inspired me to produce any Fuller 'fan-fiction' (of course, his textbook isn't fiction, so I suppose that would be impossible).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl! Just wanted to say hi and I love you!!!

August 30, 2005 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home